Waterproofing your basement is a significant investment that can be beneficial for decades after excavation and sealing. Here at Tom’s Basement Waterproofing, we use industry-leading technology and techniques to protect your home and provide essential defenses for you, and your biggest asset, your home. How can waterproofing your basement help you? Check out our in-depth blog below to learn more.
Waterproofing Increases Your Control Over Humidity
Humidity in basements is one of the most common problems which plague the foundations of Michigan homes. Humidity, even low amounts, can damage the wood and masonry supporting your home. While a dehumidifier can solve some humidity problems, it does not address the root of the problem, and if there is water in your basement, there is sure to be a leak, even if you can’t find it. Whether you have small drips forming on the basement walls or puddles actively growing within your basement, it is essential to waterproof your foundation.
Foundation Protection With Basement Waterproofing
Like the shallow waters of the Colorado River cutting away the Grand Canyon, even the slightest amount of water intrusion can slowly destroy your foundation. Michigan has an annual rain average of 30-35 inches, so any foundation that touches bare earth should be waterproofed to protect against erosion, sinking, and other dangerous problems. Avoiding foundation repairs can cost thousands of dollars while lowering your home’s value if left unaddressed.
Value And Long Term Benefits Of Basement Waterproofing In Michigan Homes
Several benefits of waterproofing your basement can help increase your home’s value and provide long-term returns, even if you plan on selling soon. These include the following:
- Boost Your Home Value In Two Ways: Waterproofing your basement can increase its value in several ways. First, it can lower your energy bills, help insulation, and reduce heat or cool leakage during the winter and summer when the weather is most intrusive. Second, waterproofing your basement can boost its selling value, making your property more appealing with a recent waterproofing project completed.
- Protect Your Health And Physical Future: Water inside the home can incentivize mold growth within your floors, walls, and foundation. These molds can be easy to miss, mainly if your basement is rarely visited. Yet, whether you see it or not, molds release spores that can harm your lungs and present a significant danger to those who suffer from pulmonary diseases like asthma.
- Decreased Maintenance Costs: Over time, your home will need maintenance. From plumbing to electrical to structural problems, home ownership is not cheap. Save yourself some time and money by investing in the future of your home. High-quality basement waterproofing will protect your foundation from cracking, help keep your floors from buckling, and reduce water damage from accidents or extreme weather.
- Save Water: Humid conditions in your basement can lead to the expansion and rusting of pipes, reducing water flow and increasing energy usage—furthermore, basement waterproofing and increased insulation help to keep your pipes from freezing in the winter.
- Expand Your Workable Area: Basements can often be cold during the winter and hot in the summer, making them uncomfortable places to spend any time. Furthermore, water intrusion can make it a death sentence for any boxes or personal items stored in a musty space. When you waterproof your basement, you change its insulation, keeping the elements away and opening up an otherwise uncomfortable space below your home to endless possibilities.
Tom’s Basement Waterproofing Uses Industry-Leading Technology and Techniques to Waterproof Basements and Protect Michigan Homes
If you want to learn more about how basement waterproofing can help boost your home’s value and give you more usable space, contact Tom’s Basement Waterproofing team at (586) 776-7270 for a free estimate.