The overall purpose for basement waterproofing is to prevent water from entering into your home and damaging your foundation. When you take active steps towards eliminating this issue from ever becoming a problem, you increase the value and longevity of your home or property. While we always recommend calling Tom’s Basement Waterproofing for any full basement waterproofing job, there are steps you can take as a homeowner to prevent issues from building up.
Find The Little Problems
Many of the largest basement waterproofing problems begin as little issues that can be resolved quickly. Do yourself and your home a favor and start inspecting your basement on a regular basis. When the problems are found smaller, they are faster and cheaper to resolve than a larger basement waterproofing job. Let’s go over a few things that you should be looking for and how often.
- Look over your foundation every couple months. You should be looking for a healthy foundation that is holding strong all across your land. If you start noticing problems, start checking this more often, and give us a call if it becomes worse.
- Look for cracks and water stains in your basement. A quick glance around your basement every week or so will allow your eyes to become more adjusted to noticing if something is off.
- Check for musty or odor smells coming from your basement. This could be a sign of mildew, mold, or other water problems. Chances are you’ll notice this smell coming up through your basement, and the odor will bring your attention to the problem.
Fix What You Can
There are a few things around your home or property that can be maintained by you, and alleviate large basement waterproofing costs in the future. Here are just a few things you can implement into a regular ‘to-do’ list around your home!
- Repair any broken downspouts
- Keep your gutters clean and clear of debris
- Move the slope of your landscape away from your home, with packed soil
- Regularly check to make sure your sump pump is working properly
- Install a dehumidifier to keep your basement dry
- Don’t pile snow up against your foundation
Remember, maintaining your home and property doesn’t have to be complicated. A few preventative steps towards ensuring that your basement is dry can save your thousands of dollars down the road. If you notice after inspecting your home that your basement needs professional attention, make sure to give Tom’s Basement Waterproofing a call sooner rather than later! (586) 776-7270